Who we are
The Choice Program at UMBC provides mentoring and advocacy services to young people–primarily Black and Latinx– throughout central Maryland. We utilize a community-based, family-centered approach in order to promote quality outcomes for young people and families. We engage in a collaborative process of service: where young people set goals for themselves and are held accountable by supportive adults along the way. Our approach to youth development is grounded in applied critical race theory and culturally responsive, trauma-informed, restorative practices. We strive to be an anti-racist organization grounded in several core values: holistic development, the belief in humans, dismantling hierarchies, and youth-centeredness.
Under the general direction and management of the Choice Jobs Program Coordinator, the Job Coach Intern co-owns the operations and staff management of Rysing Youth (RY) cafe at the University of Baltimore, the RY stand at Camden Yards, and/or the RY kiosk at the Inner Harbor. Over the course of their six month contract, the Job Coach Intern will gain valuable professional experience through the direct supervision and development of youth workers in our social enterprise program, as well as through the daily management of the RY business. This is a fast-paced experience, where the Job Coach Intern not only effectively manages a successful summertime business, they are a supportive coach for youth in their first professional job. In this entry-level internship position, the Job Coach Intern is responsible for the daily management of people and over $30,000 in business resources.
Specific duties include
Monitors daily Rysing Youth (RY) business operations
- Opens and closes adhering to RY procedures
- Ensures the proper use and maintenance of RY equipment
- Creates and manages staff schedules for RY locations
Supervises and coaches youth in on-the-job training and professional development
- Provides youth development on-the-job-training. Topics include: customer service, sales, cash and card handling, food and beverage preparation
- Completes required documentation in accordance with Choice Program requirements such as youth related reports, daily logs, and personnel documentation.
Collaborates with the Program Coordinator (PC) to develop, implement, and monitor youth vocational/job readiness development plans
- Vocational/job readiness plans include: career planning, resume and cover letter writing workshops, interview preparation and best practices, social media best practices. etc.
- Maintains data integrity at all times, and ensures confidentiality and compliance with The Choice Program’s ethical standard
- Completes required documents including: youth, business, and operations related reports, daily logs, register and bank logs, etc.
Provides wraparound services for youth to ensure their success in the jobs program
- In partnership with the Program Coordinator (PC) wraparound services include youth transportation needs, developing and maintaining relationships with youth’s families to emphasize youth accountability and success
- Matches youth workers with employment opportunities based on their skills, work experience, and related training and interests
- Communicates safety and other concerns to the PC
Supports the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding of Rysing Youth youth workers
- Helps create the onboarding plan for youth workers
- Trains on interviewing and hiring best-practices
- Serves on interviewing team for youth worker interviews
Required for the consideration for the Job Coach Intern position are a high school diploma and a history of leadership experience. Preferred qualifications are: leadership experience in the education, youth development, retail or service industries; strong youth communication skills; experience with conflict management. A background check will also be required.
This is a paid internship position contracted from April 2023 through September 2023. The Job Coach Intern will work 20 hours per week, including evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
Compensation is $18.50/hr
- Professional development opportunities through the Choice Program
- Networking opportunities